Sunday 23 June 2013

Thank Goodness Ghana Still Has Many Decent People In It

Author's note: This piece was written on 20/6/2013. It is being posted today, because I was unable to do so on the day. Please read on:


The cynicism and bile elicited by an article of mine posted online (entitled: "Helping Ghanaians In The Diaspora Execute Projects Successfully"), suggesting  an untapped  Diasporan business opportunity existed,  for reputable financial services sector companies in Ghana - and that perhaps they ought  to consider offering  a service enabling Ghanaians living overseas,  to successfully  complete their projects in Ghana from their  bases abroad -  illustrates perfectly the depths to which public morality seems to have  sunk in Ghana.


Abuse from strangers one does not know  - many immature adults from their inane and abusive comments on  articles they couldn't possibly have read with any comprehension: judging by their  reaction  -   can be expected on some online platforms, but that so many  people who commented on the article  seemed  to actually believe that no honest individuals can be found anywhere in Ghana, is worrying in the extreme.


Of course,  not all Ghanaians hold such negative views about themselves and those they know - and it will do Ghanaian society no good at all,  if  our children and their children's children,  were to become infected by  the cynical and limiting viewpoint that we are a dishonest people.


Yes, we must go through life being careful, to ensure  that we are not taken advantage of,  by dishonest people - who are to be found in every nation on the surface of the  planet Earth, incidentally  -  but we must not be so negative as to believe  that there aren't many Martin Amidus in Ghanaian society, for example. Indeed,  there are.


It is true that  there are many not-so-honest individuals in Ghana - just as there are everywhere else in the world, for that matter  - but not all Ghanaians have been infected by the money-at-all-costs-virus  that makes some  lose their values and bearings.


At any rate, most of the people I personally know, are people with values,  who are men and women of integrity. In that  old-fashioned world,  helping each other,  is not a shady-business-opportunity to rip one another off.

In  light  of such socially destructive  cynicism amongst the commentariat, I am certainly glad I did  not grow up in a Ghana,  in which having values and integrity,  meant  one was  an oddball and a fool.


I admit to the fact that I am no saint myself - I have a vile temper, I am ashamed to say. And I can be very mean: I hate flies and mosquitoes - both of which I annihilate on sight,  when spotted, with water-based pyretherium insecticide.


Let the cynics who think every Ghanaian in Ghana is a crook, speak for themselves.


Luckily for me, the everyday world I inhabit in the Ghana of today,  as I edge towards my 60th year on this earth,  is still full of individuals with values and integrity. Thank goodness,  for such little mercies, say I.


Tel: 027 745 3109.

No comments: