Friday, 21 June 2019
The Week UK: How close are the US and Iran to war?
The Week UK
WORLD NEWS
Donald Trump gave ‘initial approval’ for Iran strikes after drone attack
Jun 21, 2019
US president had ‘planes in the air and ships in position’ before pulling back
Alex Wong/Getty Images
Donald Trump gave initial approval for the military to launch strikes on Iran in retaliation for Tehran shooting down a US drone, reports the New York Times.
An unnamed official says planes were in the air and ships were in position, ready to attack Iranian targets including radar and missile batteries. However, no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down.
See related
Iran says it has shot down a US spy drone
How close are the US and Iran to war?
Iran to breach nuclear deal ‘within ten days’
The planned retaliation was intended as a response to the shooting down of an unmanned, $130m surveillance drone, which was struck yesterday morning by an Iranian surface-to-air missile.
The strike was set to take place just before dawn today in Iran to minimise the risk to the Iranian military and civilians.
The New York Times says “it was not clear whether Mr Trump simply changed his mind on the strikes or whether the administration altered course because of logistics or strategy”. Looking ahead, The Guardian said it was also unclear “if strikes would go ahead at a later date”.
Describing the mood in America's corridors of power, the New York Times says that “the possibility of a retaliatory strike hung over Washington for much of the day” and it is thought that Trump’s national security advisers were divided over whether to respond militarily to the downing of the drone.
Among those pushing for such a response were Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, national security adviser John Bolton, and Gina Haspel, the CIA director.
However, top Pentagon officials had warned Trump that such an action could result in a spiralling escalation with grave consequences for American forces in the region.
Trump said yesterday that Iran “made a very big mistake” when it shot down a US military surveillance drone over the Strait of Hormuz. However, he added that it could have been the result of human error, saying: “I find it hard to believe it was intentional.”
He continued: “This drone was in international waters, clearly. We have it all documented. It’s documented scientifically, not just words.”
Asked what would come next, Trump had said, “Let’s see what happens.” The Washington Post points out that Trump “appeared to tamp down” the likelihood of an immediate military response when he highlighted the fact that the Global Hawk was unmanned.
“We had nobody in the drone,” said the US president. “It would have made a big difference, let me tell you.”
Tensions between the two countries have soared recently after the US blamed Iran for attacks on oil tankers and Iran announced it will soon exceed international agreed limits on its nuclear programme.
Read more: World News
Donald Trump
Iran
World News
You are here:
HomeDonald Trump gave ‘initial approval’ for Iran strikes after drone attack
Related Articles
The Week Unwrapped
Why are women less interested in politics than men?
Apple Watch
The Week Unwrapped
The Week Unwrapped: Self-trackers and women in politics
Flight MH370
Odd News
MH370 pilot ‘had practised crash on flight simulator’
Donald Trump
One-Minute Read
Trump gave ‘initial approval’ for strikes after drone attack
One-Minute Read
How Emmanuel Macron turned his presidency around
One-Minute Read
Does Trump want to wage a global currency war?
Tomato, Italy, Slave, Migrant
In Depth
Italy’s slave labour problem
Keith Raniere
In Depth
Nxivm: how US sex cult lured its victims
Find Out How
With The Week Magazine
YES
Portfolio
The experts' guide to good living
Three of the most heavenly retreats in the Maldives
Seven top luxury travel essentials
The Game Bird review: fine-dining with a helping of fun
Read more
Popular
Chernobyl workers ‘saw Mothman’ before disaster
World News
Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 2020: prices, specs and release
Motoring
Who will be the next PM? The latest polls, odds and vote results
UK News
iOS 13: new features, public beta, release, iPadOS changes, CarPlay and more
Technology
Royal Ascot 2019 - the best pictures
UK News
Trending Topics
Donald Trump
Brexit
House prices
Cultural appropriation
Kensington Palace
Islamic State
Daily Briefing
Ten things you need to know today
Tory MP filmed grabbing protester by neck
Trump ‘approved Iran strikes then backed down’
Johnson vs. Hunt following Gove’s ‘revenge’ defeat
Read more
Our Latest Offers, Competitions and Events
Our latest offers and competitions
Foraging masterclass and lunch with Masterchef winner
Outstanding wines that won't break the bank
FIND OUT MORE
Back to top
FacebookTwitter
News
Sport
Business
Technology
Cars
Offers
Podcast
Portfolio
Subscriptions
The Week US
Email newsletter
Privacy Policy
Cookie Policy
RSS
Sitemap
Contact us
Authors
About us
Privacy Preferences
© Copyright The Week Ltd which is a subsidiary of Dennis Publishing Limited.
The Week incorporates The First Post. The Week™ and The First Post™ are trademarks of Felix Dennis.
Felix DennisJobsMedia InformationSubscription EnquiresBooksAppsYour Online Choices
Sign up for our daily newsletter
Newsletter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment