Saturday 12 June 2010

Email To Alba Amoo-Gottfried

Many thanks, Ohemaa. I do listen to the BBC African Service’s “Story, story" from time to time, as a matter of fact. I must say you really are brilliant – endowed with so many talents!

Well, no need to sound so apologetic – you did say you were pretty busy: and as we all know, woman (and man, too!) must live, so...


You are very kind: Thanks for your encouraging words about my writing. I am afraid I have lost faith in the future of our nation: I am currently fighting a losing battle against a respectable gentleman who in reality is more or less a super-wealthy criminal – who does not have a mining permit from the EPA, yet is mining gold at Akim Abaukwa Juaso, in defiance of the authorities.

The village is part of an area designated a Globally Significant Biodiversity Area (GSBA) – yet, officialdom sits in air-conditioned comfort in Accra – oblivious of the threat that that clever criminal's activities pose to the well-being of Ghanaians and their country, at a time of global climate change. Hmmm, life...

Sadly for me, I have had to suspend the idea of publishing my blog, for the moment. My landlady (God bless her!), who has the patience of a saint, has had enough – and is now threatening to throw me out of my house: if I don’t pay her the huge sum due her from me. I will revive the book project when I do the decent thing and settle matters with that marvelous landlady of mine – who I am ashamed to say, I have treated so shabbily, in not paying her what is due her. Hmmm, life…

Anyway Ohemaa, thanks once again for keeping in touch: as you promised you would. So rare to find a Ghanaian actually keeping his or her word. Hmmm, Ghana - eyeasem oo!

Best Wishes,

Kofi.

No comments: