Tuesday 15 November 2011

A BEYOND-THE-PALE CRIME OVER WHICH GHANA'S NATIONAL MEDIA COMMISSiON'S CHAIRPERSON OUGHT TO RESIGN?

When I was called by the National Media Commission (NMC) recently, and informed that a complaint had been made against a photograph appearing in The National Review, I was aghast - because I was still trying to raise money to publish the paper I'd registered with them in November 2010: and had not yet come out with it.

Knowing the slippery nature of most middle class Ghanaians, my initial reaction was to ignore the NMC's summons - because I instinctively felt the whole thing would be a waste of my precious time. And so it has proved to be. And I am pretty livid about the whole affair.

But I will not allow the hypocrites who think they are a race apart, and are untouchable - because once upon a time, they were part of the charmed inner circle of the perfidious Kufuor & Co., to get away with what they may think is the hijacking of some small fry's newspaper's title by persons unknown. The NMC may come to regret its role in this shabby matter.

Indeed, I'd go as far as saying that this could be the present NMC's Waterloo. I am serving notice to all of the "big people" in the NMC, that I intend to get to the bottom of this outrage - with or without the NMC's assistance.

They must not think for one moment, that I will allow unprincipled individuals in the Ghanaian media world, who sell their conscience regularly to the highest bidders, to play games with me - and get away with it scot free. It won't happen. Period.

The question to the confounded NMC is: What exactly have they done about this threat to press freedom - and what effectively is the undermining-by-stealth, of the very foundations of Ghanaian democracy?

Are they making sure that the Director General of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service, with the assistance of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), is actually investigating what is a new variant of the very serious crime of counterfeiting, which has the potential to cause utter chaos during the campaign for the December 2012 presidential and parliamentary elections - and in the immediate aftermath of those elections, if not halted immediately: by apprehending and prosecuting the amoral rogues-without-a-conscience, behind it?

Those morons behind that dreadful example of yellow journalism, who thought they could destroy me by resorting to this trick-of-miserable-cowards, will end up in jail - as sure as day follows night. And I will also sue them for every penny they've got.

This rubbish has made me lose respect for the present NMC - who appear to be oblivious of its implications for press freedom in our country. Do they not recognise the very real threat to democracy that this outrage; this pure nonsense on bamboo stilts represents, at all? In my view, some of them have lost the moral right to remain in their positions.

The world will know why they failed to act, when the stupid individuals who dreamt up this foolish caper, are finally exposed. Above all, Kabral Blay-Amihere must understand that there is a limit to how duplicitous one can be - he must remember that he is no longer Kufour & Co.'s diplomat abroad: so there is no excuse for that.

He must step down from the position of NMC chairperson - for he has lost the moral authority to lead it, as far as I am concerned. Why did he pretend he was interested in solving this puzzle - when by avoiding all communication with me subsequently, he is proving so clearly that he actually isn't?

He must tread cautiously with me - I am not nearly as foolish as I appear to be. In any case, I am not a fool for nothing, I'll have him know. He must be careful - for he hasn't heard the last of this yet. He and his sodden New Patriotic Party (NPP) media-hirelings will regret this outrage deeply. They've duly been served notice by me - and must be on the qui vive. A word to the wise...

Tel (Powered by Tigo - the one mobile phone network in Ghana that actually works!): + 233 (0) 27 745 3109.

No comments: