Friday 2 December 2011

Kofi Thompson Is Not Beholden To Anyone - Which Is Why He Always Speaks His Mind Freely!

It is typical of the Byzantine nature of the politics of our country, and the low esteem in which most journalists are held in Ghana, that anyone would assume that because I was calling for the Convention Peoples Party (CPP) to expel Dr. Paa Kwesi Nduom, it meant that I was acting on behalf of the two individuals I said would make a perfect presidential ticket for a merged CPP/Peoples National Convention (PNC) party, to campaign for the December 2012 elections: Dr. Edward Mahama and Professor Agyemang Badu Akosa.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I simply happen to think that because of the unique individual qualities of the two gentlemen, Dr. Edward Mahama, would be the perfect presidential candidate for a united CPP/PNC ticket - and that Professor Agyemang Badu Akosa would make an excellent foil to Dr. Mahama: as vice presidential candidate.

Well, surprising though it might be for some, the fact of the matter, dear reader, is that I have neither met nor spoken to Dr. Edward Mahama of the Peoples National Convention (PNC) before, in my entire life. Neither have I ever met, nor spoken, to Professor Agyemang Badu Akosa before, too, in all of the 58 years I have lived on the surface of the planet Earth for.


Why anyone would assume that I was acting on behalf of the two distinguished medical doctors, in calling for Dr. Paa Kwesi Nduom to be expelled from the party of Nkrumah, beats my imagination. But then, as a wag once said in similar circumstances: "It takes all sorts, I suppose - and there's one born every minute, we mustn't forget."

In any case, I am not one of those unethical journalists who seem to think that journalism practice is an extension of public relations consultancy work - and accept money regularly from politicians and business tycoons to write pieces that are favourable to them, for that reason.

Anyone who has read my writing consistently for the last fifteen or so years, would confirm that I happen to be someone who constantly condemns unprofessional journalists - particularly those mercenary hacks who sell their conscience to the highest bidders in the world of Ghanaian politics: and do the bidding of politicians and their cronies. I am not about to travel down that road-of-shame in my dotage. Period.


More to the point, I have never met or spoken to Dr. Paa Kwesi Nduom before. I have nothing against him, personally. Indeed he is a man to be admired in many ways - if there were a thousand gifted businesspeople like him in Ghana, youth unemployment wouldn't be half as worrying, as it is today. I just happen to believe that the CPP would be better off without him - and vice versa. Period.

As it happens, I am just an independent-minded, plain-speaking patriot and nationalist, who loves his country and Mother Africa passionately - and believes that we have reached a juncture in our nation and Africa's history, when the ideals of Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah ought to prevail again in Ghanaian and pan-African politics.

Above all, I want the party of Nkrumah, the CPP, to be rebuilt from the ground up, into a solid organisation, so that it can start winning elections, and be returned to power again - to lead the transformation of our country into an African equivalent of the egalitarian societies of Scandinavia.

Finally, let those misguided souls, who think that somehow I am acting for Dr. Edward Mahama and Professor Agyemang Badu Akosa, in calling for Dr. Paa Kwesi Nduom to be expelled from the CPP, be clear about one thing: I am not beholden to anyone in Ghana, or elsewhere - for which reason I have always spoken my mind freely: and will continue doing so till I draw my last breath.

I am very much my own man, and have always been (right from my boyhood days at Prempeh College!) - let no one think otherwise. Kofi Thompson is no one's poodle. For their information, I am the human equivalent, of my favourite breed in the canine world, the Doberman Pinscher - so those with ill-intent, who venture unto my lawn, will not be spared. They will be torn apart - completely. Period.

Tel (Powered by Tigo - the one mobile phone network in Ghana that actually works!): + 233 (0) 27 745 3109.

No comments: