Saturday 18 October 2008

"I Joined an Online Community Once!" - A free-verse poem by Kofi Thompson

I joined an online community once
In my enthusiasm to participate
I unwittingly became a nuisance
Filling the in-boxes
Of scientific minds
With my off-topic meanderings
Until disaster struck
I answered what I thought
Was private e-mail
From a member of the list
To my horror
Back it came
The property of the whole list
Then came the sniggering-set
Crowing
That the nuisance
Had had his come-uppance
What to do?
But to do the decent thing
And retire from the list
Then the true nature
Of some began to show
In endless posts
They made cruel jokes
Obviously
Aimed at the nuisance
That-used-to-be
Poor souls
One mentioned Fair Trade
Not to be confused
With trade fair said he grandly
Hellooo!
Seen any flying-pigs larely?
The lipstick-wearing kind?
Do you mind?
We have actually been involved
In the Fair Trade movement for yonks
Then another came up
With a solar fantasy
So-called
Weed biochar-maker
For bare-feet-farmers
Hellooo!
Actually
We have prepared
Vegetable beds
For a biochar experiment
Of our very own
Do you not know
When to forgive
Another human being
For a faux pas?
Human nature
Little minds
Brilliant minds
Good people
Narrow-minded folk
Insular folk
Broad-minded folk
Kindly souls
Life
It takes all sorts
I joined an online community once
But will never post online
On one again
Just absorb
The wisdom posted online
And keep
My foolishness
To myself
I joined an online community once
But never again
Lest the cruel-set
And the sniggering-set
Declare open season
On a sensitive soul
I joined an online community once
But never again!

2 comments:

Erich J. Knight said...

I hope "never again" is not true.
Kofi, I think you had a quiet normal learning curve mistake in the list email protocols.

Your perspective and questions on the biochar potentials for your locality are most important for our Biochar list to here.

Blessings back at ya.
Erich

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for your kind words. In the main, I do respect the majority of you guys. Simple case of "for whom the cap fits" - as far as poems on the matter go.

I will definitely post when my first harvest comes in.

Will let the list know the difference between the vegetables grown on beds mixed with remnants scooped from charcoal seller's patch of ground in our area - and those grown on the beds without charcoal.

Many thanks once again, for your kind words. You are a perfect example of the majority on the list - decent and broadminded souls! Peace and blessings to you!