Monday 17 November 2008

Alex Amoako-Atta: Kofi Thompson Is Neither Too Thick To Think, Nor Too Blind To See!

With respect, Opanin, I only responded to Mr. Benjamin Tawiah’s article entitled: “Rawlings’ Caucasian Blood Helped His Integrity: Says Nigerian Author” which you mentioned, and which appeared in the general news web page of www.ghanaweb.com on 16th November, 2008, for one reason only.

Massa, I commented on it, simply because the gentleman who wrote it, said he was a “freelance journalist.” Opanin, I was merely doing my duty by him, in pointing out his error to him - as a concerned fellow-journalist.

Yes, I agree with you perfectly Opanin, in what you say, when you imply that it is important that those who comment publicly on issues that affect the well-being of our country, are not needlessly partisan in the opinions they express.

However, I am not biased in my writing at all, in my humble opinion - and there are countless articles of mine in the public domain, to prove that I am not partisan when I write: especially as regards the issue of corruption amongst our political class.

For example, in the past, I have pointed out the fact that it is patently clear to all discerning and independent-minded Ghanaians, today, that if those who rescued the hero of 4th June, 1979, from his Special Branch cell at dawn, on the morning of 4th June, 1979, had had the slightest inkling, that nearly two decades down the road, Flt. Lt. Rawlings, would be telling Ghanaians the astonishing story, that "friends" of his, were paying for the education and living expenses, overseas, of his children, they would have definitely left him to his own devices - to face the music for his failed insurrection of 9th May, 1979, alone.

Massa, I am quiet sure that if you were to ask Major Boakye-Djan today, he would, indeed, confirm what I say!

I have also said publicly, that after the military uprising in 1979, if General Acheampong (may his soul rest in peace) and the other senior officers who were executed by the former president and his colleagues, who formed the Armed Forces Revolutionary Council (AFRC), had said that "friends" of theirs were making the same kind of payments that the former president now tells us his "friends" are on his (General Akyeampong's) behalf, Flt Lt Rawlings and Co would have been apoplectic - and probably summarily executed them on the spot: for telling them such a Kweku Ananse story.

Surely, that is not the sort of thing a biased writer (especially one writing the way I did in my response to Mr. Benjamin Tawiah's piece), in a land full of sycophants, would write publicly, is it, Opanin?

Massa, I am a simple pan-Africanist, a humble Nkrumaist, a committed Ghanaian patriot and nationalist - not one of those "My-party-my-tribe-right-or-wrong" myrmidons, who wear blinkers permanently: and are too thick to think and too blind to see, because their consciences have been bought by our political class (from across the spectrum). Peace and blessings to you, Opanin.

Hmmm, Ghana – enti yeawiaye paa enia? Asem ebaba debi ankasa! May God bless and protect our homeland Ghana, always. Long live freedom! Long live Ghana!

No comments: