Friday 2 September 2011

An Open Letter To Mr. Kofi Ampadu

(Email 1)

Dear Mr Ampadu,

Opanin, you say: "We can see that we cannot take any word you gave us."

Nothing could be more wounding, for a gentleman of the old school, in what is turning out to be a Kafkaesque nightmare - that can only happen in Ghana.

I can't even face Auntie Philo anymore - not to mention her kind daughter who I appealed to: hoping that would give enough time for the people I'd paid rent advance to, to ready their property for me to move into. And now even a decent and kind young gentleman, who bent over backwards (probably risking your job for an old man you'd never even met before) in a nation full of hard-hearted church-goers, says this to me.

Mr Ampadu, I would like to come and see you tomorrow, so you can speak to the lawyer into whose clients' account, I paid money to rent a property that in the end, I gave up continuing to plead to be allowed to put my stuff in, whiles they readied it for me. Even offered to do the work needed myself to speed it up - and got the perfectionist who found me this place, to agree to do so for me too: but to no avail.

The lawyer in question, told me in the end, that perhaps God had a purpose for what was happening to me. I tell you all this just to let you know the extraordinary circumstances that account for my still being here - much as I had wished it wasn't so.

Please find a way out for me - as you have always tried to do. I have a couple of agents still helping to find me a place that I'd feel secure living in. Perhaps paying more here whiles still searching could make it possible for you to extend a helping hand, yet again?

I have always tried to be fair in my dealings with others, throughout my life. The gentleman who found me this place will tell you that my money actually helped complete the refurbishment here nearly a decade and a half ago - and built the fence wall. That accounts for the history of the rent. Not that that matters now, but its just to shed light on the reason for the rent.

Opanin, I am sure I'll find a place eventually - and if you remember, I actually asked you if you could help me find emergency accommodation. In the light of all the above, what can you do for me?

My fate is your hands, it would appear - and I leave it all to God now: who knows that far from not keeping my word, being let down in the most extraordinary of fashions, is what has led to this terrible mess - which I wouldn't wish upon even my worst enemy. I have never felt more embarrassed in all my life, Mr Ampadu. I am between a rock and a hard place as it were - and emotionally drained by this unfortunate Kafkaesque nightmare. Please be patient and find a way to continue to help me, despite everything. Thank you - and may God guide, protect and bless you always.

Regards,

Kofi.

PS You know, my parents were friends of both Albert Owusu-Ansah and his younger brother Dominic - both just as kind as Auntie Philo, incidentally.

I never imagined I'd end up experiencing this nightmare in one of Albert's properties. Life's so interesting and mysterious indeed, sometimes!


(Email 2)


Opanin,

Please stop implying that I am somehow up to some trickery: "I can see thru what you are doing..."

That is unfair and so wrong an assessment of my situation. Just pause for a moment - and ask yourself what if you are wrong in your assumption?

Has it not occurred to you that I might actually be telling you the truth - and that what has occurred is something extraordinary that is totally beyond my control?

Please be humane and understanding. I am not some dishonest individual up to some tricks.

I am just a simple soul who has come up against totally unforeseen circumstances, that is creating problems for good people who I have no reason to create problems for. That is not in my character.

Please remember that no condition in life is permanent - and we none of us know when we will be at the mercy of others through no fault of ours, as is my situation now. Please be patient - and deal with a genuine hardship case as it deserves to be dealt with - humanely. If you have the power to assist, never kick a man who is down - help him up, instead. God bless.

Kofi.

(Email 3)

"If you were out of this country, your things would be thrown out. This is business and not a charity."


"Please do what is right and let's stop playing the compassion game."

Incredible. Mr. Ampadu, have you never had a problem in your young life, before?

Life isn't a game, and I am not playing games - compassionate or otherwise: I am in a fix that could easily happen to any decent human being.

If you insist on having your pound of flesh, as it were, then I will leave it all in God's hands - as it appears you cannot help me.

He is the only one who knows that my intentions in this have always been honourable. May God bless both of us, Mr Ampadu. I will leave the outcome to this in his hands. He has never failed me, yet.

Kofi.

(Email 4)

Heavens above. You misunderstand me, yet again. I am not twisting anything. In any case, don't let me distract you from your work, Mr Ampadu.

I believe in a meritocracy and don't expect you or anyone else to be unprofessional.

I am merely trying hard to let you understand that I am actually doing everything humanly possible to move - and will move. This isn't my family property, so if the owners want it back, they must, and will, have it back Mr Ampadu. Let's just both get on with the rest of the day. God bless.

Regards,

Kofi.

No comments: