Sunday 30 July 2017

Extra Newsfeed/Allan Ishac: I Have Just Two Words For John McCain


Homepage
Extra Newsfeed

    HomeReal PoliticsPresidential ThingsTruth In SatireArchiveSTOP TRUMP’S BAN ON TRANSGENDER MILITARY SERVICE

Go to the profile of Allan Ishac
Allan Ishac
I write. I ride. I read. I rest. Contributor to Thought Catalog, Good Men’s Project, Momentum Mag, ExtraNewsFeed
Jul 23

I Have Just Two Words For John McCain
(Credit: MinnPost)

Most Americans remember when presidential candidate John McCain, conducting a town hall meeting in Minnesota in 2008, graciously but firmly rebuffed a woman in the audience who said she couldn’t trust Barack Obama because he was an “Arab.”

As he removed the microphone from her hand, the senator said, “No, ma’am. He’s a decent family man [and] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that’s what this campaign’s all about. He’s not [an Arab].”

Spoken like another decent family man, doing the right thing, despite angry emotions and a chorus of booing from the partisan gathering.

A little later, someone in the same crowd implored Senator McCain to wage “a real fight” against his opponent. To which he replied, “We want to fight, and I will fight. But I will be respectful. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments, and I will respect him.”

Boos again. Only louder this time. But John McCain never wavered or changed his position to oblige the less civil.

I didn’t vote for Mr. McCain in 2008, and I probably wouldn’t vote for him now, but his words that day, and the indelible image of him facing a hostile crowd without backing down from his principles (rare, if not unheard of in today’s unscrupulous political climate), earned my respect. And it concretized my image of him as a gentleman, a rational Republican party leader with honor and integrity, a true patriot, and a great American.

When I heard this week that Senator McCain was diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer, I was saddened. Not only because he received a tough prognosis, but because I’ve come to think of John McCain as being one of the only Republicans in Washington who is not afraid to speak the truth when it comes to the abhorrent conduct and disgraceful presidency of Donald Trump.

I’m sure Senator McCain’s moral resolve comes in part from his experience as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, after his Navy Skyhawk dive bomber was shot out of the sky over Hanoi. He broke his right leg and both arms in the crash, and endured horrific treatment for 5 1/2 years, including prolonged stretches of torture and solitary confinement. Yet he survived that nightmare only to return to America and serve his country again as a senator from Arizona since 1987…and still counting.

With the profound sacrifices he has made for his country, Captain John McCain had every right to seethe when Draft Dodger Don (who received four military deferments between 1964 and 1968) said of his Vietnam service in 2015, “He’s not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured? I like people who weren’t captured.”

But Mr. McCain didn’t slash back or become enraged, as far as we know. Many Democrats and Republicans defended his record and unassailable heroism, but Mr. McCain kept silent. He left The Lyin’ King to boil in his own hot water.

As Senator McCain convalesces at his home in Arizona, it remains to be seen who, in his absence, will take on the Orange Accident as fearlessly and relentlessly.

But I’m rooting for the war hero, the statesman, and overall decent human being to get back to Washington and face down the odious Donald Trump, along with his cluster of crooked accomplices, with the indefatigable energy and respectful bearing for which I, and most Americans, have come to greatly admire him.

And so I have just two words for you, Senator McCain: “Get Well.”

****

If this post touched you in some way, please click the heart, comment, and/or follow me. I promise to read every comment.

And click here or here for two of my most popular past posts — ones that I enjoyed writing a whole lot and I hope you’ll enjoy reading.

Thank you.

–AI

    John MccainDonald TrumpRepublican PartyCancerPolitics

Go to the profile of Allan Ishac
Allan Ishac
Medium member since Apr 2017

I write. I ride. I read. I rest. Contributor to Thought Catalog, Good Men’s Project, Momentum Mag, ExtraNewsFeed
Extra Newsfeed
Extra Newsfeed

the same political rants you see on Facebook, but they’re well written.
More from Extra Newsfeed
McCain Gets Last Laugh, Tells Trump, “I Like Presidents Who Aren’t Assholes”
Go to the profile of Allan Ishac
Allan Ishac
Related reads
Nation Outraged As Daughter Of Former NSA Advisor Tweet-Shames President
Go to the profile of Allan Ishac
Allan Ishac
Also tagged Politics
Julian
Go to the profile of Caitlin Johnstone
Caitlin Johnstone
Responses
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Joan Evans
Joan Evans
Jul 23
I didn’t vote for Mr. McCain in 2008, and I probably wouldn’t vote for him now, but his words that day, and the indelible image of him facing a hostile crowd without backing down fro...

Yes! I completely agree, Allan. I remember that town hall meeting as if it were yesterday. John McCain showed his “truthful core” at that very moment. His consideration for Barack Obama earmarked the few sane & rational members left in what was once the “Grand ‘Ole Party”. A Party that no longer exists in spirit, but in name only!
Conversation between Romana Challans and Allan Ishac.
Go to the profile of Romana Challans
Romana Challans
Jul 23

Graciously put. While I agree with much of your respect, it should be noted that the choice of Sarah Palin as a running mate started the appalling trend of ignorant showboating that has found its inevitable conclusion in the foolish blowhard now occupying the Oval Office. Or, more often, Mar-A-Lago.
Go to the profile of Allan Ishac
Allan Ishac
Jul 23

You have a good point there, Romana. Not one of his finer moments.

But we all make our blunders.

Thanks for the thought.

And for reading. And writing.

–AI
Go to the profile of Romana Challans
Romana Challans
Jul 23

Yes, it was an expediency on McCain’s part but such consequences from that political marriage! So quite the blunder, akin to going up against a Sicilian when death is at hand;)

It is my great pleasure to keep doing both; and please, keep up what is some of my favourite reading in Medium (and online), thus giving me a chance to occasionally respond!
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Craig Heath
Craig Heath
Jul 23

Well done, Alan. You just gave back to McCain what he gave to Obama — respect despite differences. An example we need to call out, as you’ve done here.

Thanks
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Michael Evarts
Michael Evarts
Jul 23

Allan, thank you for your nice article on Senator John McCain. I do not agree with is politics but I respect the man who endured so much as he served our country as a Prisoner Of War. For 5 1/2 years, he was tortured almost every day, in the beginning of his captivity. The soldiers who tortured him, used his broken arm and leg to try and make him…
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Elizabeth Payne
Elizabeth Payne
Jul 23

Thank you, Allan, for writing this. I have seen too many say that John McCain has gotten what he has deserved because of his politics. Nobody deserves cancer, nor does their family deserve the grief an aggressive prognosis eventually brings.

Get Well. You beat the odds before, you can do it again. There is at least one more battle to fight.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Harper Thorpe
Harper Thorpe
Jul 23

Well-chosen and well-spoken words, Allan. Not to break the mood, but the GOP might find this brief comparison of McCain to Trump instructive:
Fighter vs. Blighter
Respect vs. Defect
Civil vs. Drivel
Applaud vs. a Fraud
Outreach vs. Impeach
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of James M. Ridgway, Jr.
James M. Ridgway, Jr.
Jul 23

Yes, Allan, I hardily echo your sentiments and those who support your thoughts. I live in Arizona and have never backed Senator McCain politically. Yet I have never seen a more courageous human being when it comes to crunch-time. Hopefully John’s example to stand up to the evil of Trump world will inspire other Republicans to do the right thing as well.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Allan Wing
Allan Wing
Jul 23

I don’t believe it could have been better said Allan, thank you for those true words.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Lorraine Heth
Lorraine Heth
Jul 23

Well said Allan. It’s unfortunate that more people in his party do not understand the meaning of grace. Perhaps his awkward questioning at the Comey hearing was a precursor or warning of his impending diagnosis.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Su Gall
Su Gall
Jul 23

I have to confess I hesitated to click on this article. I was steeling myself for some dark humor I’m not ready for. Many people are emotional about his illness not only because he is a great man but because he represents more than just himself. I think we liken McCain’s life of struggles and successes and setbacks while trying to keep indecency and…
Conversation between Joanne Benitez, Allan Ishac, and Courtenay Smith.
Go to the profile of Joanne Benitez
Joanne Benitez
Jul 23

Love, love, love this post today. This is what I love about you Allan Ishac, you are fair and tolerant. You are firm on your political stance but also listen and are always respectful of the opposition, much like the man you have devoted today’s post to.
Go to the profile of Allan Ishac
Allan Ishac
Jul 23

Thank you, Joanne.

That was a very feel good comment.

Much appreciated.

–AI
Go to the profile of Courtenay Smith
Courtenay Smith
Jul 26

One of these two words was a very pleasant surprise and your follow up helped to re-ground me on what a true democracy is worth.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Alfredo Muñiz
Alfredo Muñiz
Jul 23

Whenever a fellow Viet-Nam vet is ill or moves on to greener pastures, it saddens us because we can relate to the horrors of that needless war.

Captain McCain is and will always be a hero to me and to most Vietnam vets, regardless of political preferences. His courage and determination will always be remembered.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of jim reinhart
jim reinhart
Jul 23

Whoah…. as much as I love your satire, this was even better and so right on.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Jenny Paget
Jenny Paget
Jul 23

I remember that moment.

Just for a moment, think about how that current ‘leader’ would react to the same comment made in a public forum. It would be used as a sound bite to divide and promote panic and ugly nonsense. We were just telling our son about it the other day. My, how things have gone to shit.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Tom Patterson
Tom Patterson
Jul 23

I, too, never voted for Sen. McCain. I don’t think I ever would. I disagree with his views and politics. But I admire and respect him as a man of principles and decency in a country where that commodity is endangered and facing extinction.
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Sapere Aude
Sapere Aude
Jul 23
two words for you, Senator McCain: “Get Well

Allan, Thank You for this Tribute of Respect to Senator John McCain, for giving credit where credit is due, regardless to whom it is due.

While I oppose him philosophically and politically, I am grateful for every single person who remains steadfast in their civility and courtesy toward friend and foe alike, and Senator…
Recommended by Allan Ishac (author)
Go to the profile of Patricia Todd-Dennis
Patricia Todd-Dennis
Jul 23

Beautiful I say with tears welling up!

No comments: