Tuesday 18 July 2017

Bloomberg Technology/Selina Wang: The 3D hologram office

Bloomberg Technology
Fully Charged

From Bloomberg

FOLLOW US Facebook Share Twitter Share    SUBSCRIBE Subscribe

Imagine an office without computer monitors, cubicles or chairs. Everyone is wearing headsets that project their work in the form of 3D holograms. Meta, an augmented reality startup, is making that reality. Starting a few months ago, the company started ripping out everyone’s monitors and replacing them with AR headsets. To stand a chance against its deeper-pocketed rivals like Apple and Microsoft (who are making competing devices), Meta needs to improve and find use-cases for the technology faster than anyone else.

I made the trek to Meta’s California offices from New York to try the technology myself (be sure to check out the awesome video that my colleague David Nicholson shot for this piece; we recorded a podcast about it too). I was sitting in the office of Ryan Pamplin, Meta’s head evangelist. His office was bare—just a white desk with a headset sitting on it. I put the device on and suddenly I saw photos of him and his girlfriend plastered everywhere. There was also a bust of Steve Jobs and a mini Tesla model "sitting" on Pamplin's desk.

Meta’s version of desktop icons is a holographic shelf holding a bunch of spheres. Each of the objects represents a different application. I grabbed the web browser. With my hands, I pulled the web page to be twice as large as my regular desktop. I read some Bloomberg News articles and watched a short video. I picked up a 3D model of a human eyeball. I made it as large as my head, and stared at the veins. I examined a model of the human body, standing up to see the whole thing since it was so large.

The experience wasn't perfect. I didn’t like the way the headset felt on my head and I had some trouble grabbing the holographic objects. But the experience was so immersive that I was disoriented when the headset came off. The colors vanished and the world looked small.

Since that experience, I've become sensitive to how confining our devices are. We all spend hours a day with our eyes glued to our computer or phone screens. The moment a text comes up, we hunch over to respond. As much as I rely on my phone and laptop, I'm more than ready to give them up for a pair of glasses that would project anything I want into the space around me. It's still a ways off, but how great would it be to have a movie theater-sized screen to take with me wherever I went? And never have to carry around a bulky laptop for work? Or rather than skyping with a friend, have them appear as a hologram?—Selina Wang


And here's what you missed in global technology news

Google wants to turn quantum into a business. It's betting that the technology will transform computing by processing some important tasks millions of times faster.


Blue Apron has another reason to be worried about Amazon. Shares of newly public Blue Apron plummeted after Amazon filed a trademark application for meal kits. Amazon has already bought Whole Foods, and now it may be competing even more directly with Blue Apron.


Hampton Creek lost its entire board except for the CEO. Investors began to waver after a string of controversies last year at the eggless mayonnaise company. Last year Bloomberg reported that it was buying back its own products from supermarkets.


Chipmakers are riding the cryptocurrency wave—at least for now. Shares of Nividia Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices Inc. have benefited by ethereum's boom. The link lies in the powerful graphics processors that are also needed to gain access to encrypted digital currencies.



Sponsor Content by Hewlett Packard Enterprise

There’s a revolution happening in the way we live and work, and we want to help businesses like yours thrive. That’s why Hewlett Packard Enterprise is working every day to help businesses transform from what’s now to what’s next. Where your legacy IT may once have forced you to say No, Hybrid IT from HPE can help you say Yes to bigger and better opportunities.
 99

No comments: