Thursday 14 June 2018

The Hatch Institute: An old-school method of getting numbers can still be your best tool for finding sourcei

The Hatch Institute

A Vintage Way to Find Sources
Image via Images Money/Flickr

An old-school method of getting numbers can still be your best tool for finding sourcei

What's the 411?

No, the answer isn't "information" or the name of a gossipy celeb TV show (minus the question mark).

It's a phrase with origins in the way-back machine, before iPhones or smart phones, when people spoke on bulky, clunky devices, found only in the home or office, tethered to a chord.

And could be used to call a friendly operator when you needed someone's phone number.

Dialing 411 would put you in touch with a real live human being. "Directory assistance, how can I help you?" That's the greeting you got. You could ask her or him for your friend's home number. Or your teacher's. Anybody listed in the phone book. It was very helpful.

Well, guess what? You can still do that!
Subscribe

Get reporting tips and insights sent straight to your inbox.

I make use of 411 regularly. It's an amazing option, and one that comes in quite handy when you're looking for someone for a story.

I recently wanted to reach a witness to a crime, a man with a somewhat unusual last name, who I knew lived in a relatively large town in New Jersey. So I dialed 411 on my cell.

I got an automated voice asking for the last name and town. But when the system didn't find an exact match, an operator came on the line. She said she didn't have anyone with that name in that location but saw a listing for two other people with the same last name, different first names, who shared an address.

She texted me the information—names and numbers for both men, along with the address where they lived—then dialed the first number for me, connecting me instantly to a guy who turned out to be the brother of the man I was trying to reach.

Couldn't have been easier.

So make the most of this old-school resource.

It's free, it's fast and sometimes it's the only way to get the 411.
Featured
How I Got the Story: "How a New Policy Led to Seven Deadly Drugs"
How I Got the Story: "How a New Policy Led to Seven Deadly Drugs"

Journalist David Willman reflects on what it took to report out his award-winning investigative story, which won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Journalism
Jun 4, 2018
How I Got the Story: Exploitation of American Military
How I Got the Story: Exploitation of American Military

Renowned journalist Diana B. Henriques shares what it took to report her award-winning series that exposed how members of the military were being taken advantage of by shady financial firms.
Apr 24, 2018
How I Got the Story: In God's Name
How I Got the Story: In God's Name

Severe abuse, isolation cells, stomach-churning food—Alexandra Zayas covered it all in her Pulitzer-finalist series, "In God's Name." Gain insights from her reporting journey here.
Mar 16, 2018
Sara Stewart: What I Learned Working with The Hatch Institute
Sara Stewart: What I Learned Working with The Hatch Institute

Journalist Sara Stewart recounts how working with The Hatch Institute helped her.
Mar 9, 2018
How I Got the Story: Breathless and Burdened
How I Got the Story: Breathless and Burdened

Severely sick miners. Shady legal practices. Negligent companies. Pulitzer-winning journalist Chris Hamby covered it all while reporting in coal country.

Feb 13, 2017
How I Got the Story: Insane. Invisible. In Danger.
How I Got the Story: Insane. Invisible. In Danger.

Pulitzer-winning journalist Leonora LaPeter Anton takes us behind the scenes of her reportage of negligent mental institutions in Florida.
Jan 30, 2017
tip of the day
May 11, 2018
0 0 0
Donate
The Hatch Institute

A 501(c)(3) based in New York, New York

No comments: