Sunday 3 June 2018

The New York Times/Scott Enman: How Angela Goding, of MoMA PS1, Spends Her Sundays

The New York Times

Sunday Routine

How Angela Goding, of MoMA PS1, Spends Her Sundays
Image
Sundays are for “hanging out with my man who I don’t see enough of and being local,” said Ms. Goding, shown walking through Clinton Hill with her man, Charles McMickens.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

By Scott Enman

    June 1, 2018

When she’s not attending Art Basel Hong Kong, visiting studios in Beijing or traveling to the Berlin Biennale, Angela Goding, director of development at MoMA PS1, relishes putzing around her new home of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. A 30-plus-year New Yorker and a self-described “hardcore Manhattan snob,” Ms. Goding, 50, said she never spent a night in Brooklyn prior to moving to the borough last October with her partner, Charles McMickens, 58. On Sundays, Ms. Goding said that she avoids the phone and computer, and focuses instead on “hanging out with my man who I don’t see enough of and being local.”

SLEEP SLOTHS One of the benefits of not having children or animals is that I can easily sleep nine or 10 hours. On Sundays, we’re in bed until 10. It seems very slothful. We are completely lazy and relishing the lack of alarm clocks and me having to dash off somewhere. I need my minimum nine hours sleep for optimal functioning. It’s very decadent. I figure it recharges me for the rest of the week. You need it for the mental energy for dealing with New York City.
Image
Mike’s Coffee Shop is “just this down-and-dirty beautiful, iconic Brooklyn diner with a bar,” said Ms. Goding of her preferred breakfast spot.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

DINER FARE We get up and go to my favorite place, it’s this diner called Mike’s Coffee Shop. It’s one of the oldest diners in Brooklyn. It’s just this down-and-dirty beautiful, iconic Brooklyn diner with a bar. I’ll drink black coffee. We’ll have pancakes or I’ll get poached eggs and muffins. Charles always gets the grits.
Image
“There’s something real and refreshing of being able to go to a place with someone you love and just contemplate, be grateful and feel part of a community, something larger than yourself,” said Ms. Goding about attending weekly services at Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

SUNDAY SERVICE We go to the 11 o’clock service at the Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church. I don’t consider myself Christian. Nor does Charles. There’s this new, young pastor from Yale. It’s not so heavy handed about Christianity. It’s about being a good community member, being socially engaged, doing good work. I find it very inspiring. There’s something real and refreshing of being able to go to a place with someone you love and just contemplate, be grateful and feel part of a community, something larger than yourself.

EXPLORING Depending on the weather, we’ll ride Citi Bikes to somewhere in Brooklyn. I love riding through the Fulton Mall, which is one of those areas where it’s Brooklyn at its romantic finest. It’s so colorful. It’s just so alive. You hear these snippets of conversation that are amazing. It’s really unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.
Image
Buying bread at DeKalb Market Hall.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

LIGHT LUNCH We love going to DeKalb Market Hall. It’s this food court in City Point. We spend a lot of time there. We go grocery shopping. Pain D’Avignon sells really delicious cranberry pecan bread. We’ll go there and stock up for the week. Foragers has a butcher shop there. There’s this amazing hand roll place called Daigo Hand Roll Bar. I have a Sapporo and two hand rolls.
Image
At Greenlight Bookstore.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

PAPER PLEASURES We always stop by Greenlight Bookstore on Fulton Street. I went through a phase where I read everything electronically, and now I’ve gone back to actual books. The people who work there are super knowledgeable. I can always find something.
Image
“We make Chinese dumplings from scratch on Sunday nights,” Ms. Goding said. “I was taught it from my mother and she was taught it from her mother.”CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

DUMPLINGS FOR DINNER I like eating early around six or seven. We make Chinese dumplings from scratch on Sunday nights. I was taught it from my mother and she was taught it from her mother. We make a big batch of dumplings and freeze them for the rest of the week. It’s a relatively time-consuming endeavor because you have to make the dough, roll it out, make the filling and then stuff them. It’s very labor intensive, but it’s also really meditative. We’re hanging out in the kitchen, listening to music, drinking wine.
Image
“The wine is key.”CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

THE IDEAL MAN We drink a lot of wine. Charles runs an all-natural wine store so we have free flowing wine on Sundays. Mostly esoteric, delicious Northern Italian wines are his specialty. He also has an ice cream business, which in the summer time is called Fort Grace Ice Cream. He’s the ideal man. He has wine and ice cream, and we always have plenty of those in our house. The wine is key.

BATH BEFORE BED In the master bathroom, there’s a huge bathtub. I’m 5-foot-11, and I can fit totally submerged in this bathtub. I’ll run an amazing, luxurious Epsom salt and lavender bath and soak. I’ve never ever had a bathtub that I could completely fit my frame into.

MUSIC AND MALT BALLS We read a lot and listen to music while we’re finishing up the wine. That’s usually how we chill out at the end of the night. I listen to a ton of classical music. It’s funny; we’ll have red wine and malt balls in bed. We get those from Sahadi’s. They’re delicious and they don’t make crumbs.
A version of this article appears in print on , on Page MB2 of the New York edition with the headline: Malt Balls, Wine and ‘Decadent’ Sleep. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

Advertisement
Site Index
Go to Home Page »
news
opinion
arts
living
listings & more
Site Information Navigation

    © 2018 The New York Times Company

    Contact UsWork with usAdvertiseYour Ad ChoicesPrivacyTerms of ServiceTerms of SaleSite MapHelpSubscriptions

No comments: