Sunday 28 October 2018

Care2 Healthy Living/Lauren Bowen: What is Metacognition and Why is it Important?

Care2 Healthy Living | What is Metacognition and Why is it Important?
12
What is Metacognition and Why is it Important?
12
tweet
0
0
email
8

    By: Lauren Bowen
    October 27, 2018

    About Lauren

When was the last time you reflected on your natural mental process? When was the last time you tried to refine it? Paying attention to how you think — and how your thinking affects your actions — is a huge part of increasing self-awareness and performance. We call this “thinking about thinking” metacognition. Many work to refine theirs over a lifetime.
Metacognition involves five thinking practices:

    Planning and goal setting
    Monitoring progress
    Identifying what you know
    Identifying what you don’t know
    Adapting as necessary

By working through this process methodically, one can become more productive, flexible and self-reliant as they reflect on their mental processes, evaluate them and find new ways to improve. In other words, metacognition involves the ability to step back, evaluate one’s strengths and weaknesses and pivot accordingly.
Be healthy. Be loving.

Get daily tips for leading a healthy and compassionate life delivered to your inbox.

How-to-Retrain-Your-Mind-to-Love-Your-Body-Care2-2

Metacognitive knowledge involves both your beliefs about how you learn and how others learn, and the task of learning — how you process information. Consider this example: let’s say you have to learn a totally new language in six months. Here’s how you might approach the task at hand using metacognitive knowledge.
Example of metacognition

    The Learning Process: You think, “I am good at learning languages. I can totally handle this in the time I’ve been given.”
    The Task of Learning: Then, you consider “To complete the task, I will need to think about the following:
        How soon can I get the info I need to start learning this language?
        How long will it take me to learn the language?
        What information is available to me that could help me learn this language?
        Is this language similar to one I’ve learned in the past?
        Will I be able to learn the language in time?
        How hard will it be for me to do so?
        What do I need to do to learn this language?
    The Strategy: You muse, “I think that learning this new language is going to take me twelve months, but I only have six to prepare. I will need to find other ways to meet this goal — maybe hiring a private tutor or just focusing on the basics and not getting sidetracked.

Sound like a lot? It is probably a lot more “thinking about thinking” than you’re used to. But the person who approaches their problem — learning a new language in six months — this way, will likely be much more successful than the person who jumped in without consideration for the monumental nature of the task at hand.
Why does this matter?

So many people go through life on autopilot, without truly understanding themselves and why they do what they do. Metacognition presents a strategy for expansion, growth, elevation.

“So few people are really aware of their thoughts. Their minds run all over the place without their permission, and they go along for the ride unknowingly and without making a choice,” said Thomas M. Sterner in his book The Practicing Mind.

Wouldn’t you rather make the choice?
Related Stories:

    8 Heartfelt Ways to Show Your Partner You Love Them
    How to Lead a Nearly Zero Waste Life
    10 Ways to Start Living Zero Waste

GREAT STORY, RIGHT?
Share it with your friends
12
tweet
0
0
email
CONNECT WITH US

    Facebook 1.1 million followers
    Twitter 560,000 followers
    Pinterest 30,000 followers
    Email Newsletter

EMAIL THE EDITORS
Recommended for You

    Top Tech Companies You Should've Invested in 10 Years Ago Top Tech Companies You Should've Invested in 10 Years Ago Sponsored | Trendingstock Today
    What is the salary of Taimur's nanny? What is the salary of Taimur's nanny? Sponsored | India Today
    Duterte inspires wave of worker activism in Philippines Duterte inspires wave of worker activism in Philippines Sponsored | Nikkei Asian Review

    Sri Lankan ex-president Rajapaksa sworn in as prime minister Sri Lankan ex-president Rajapaksa sworn in as prime minister Sponsored | Nikkei Asian Review
    New Site Finds the Cheapest Flights in Seconds! New Site Finds the Cheapest Flights in Seconds! Sponsored | TripsShop.com
    What Are The 10 Biggest Tech Companies In The World? What Are The 10 Biggest Tech Companies In The World? Sponsored | Trendingstock Today

    What Is a Certified B Corp & Why Should You Care? What Is a Certified B Corp & Why Should You Care?
    Can’t Use CBD Oil? There Are Other Effective Alternatives Can’t Use CBD Oil? There Are Other Effective Alternatives

    These Cars Will Last 250,000 Miles - Is Yours On This List? These Cars Will Last 250,000 Miles - Is Yours On This List? Sponsored | Buzzdrives.com

    3 Simple (Yet Effective) Ways to Make Your Partner Feel Heard 3 Simple (Yet Effective) Ways to Make Your Partner Feel Heard
    Online Shopping is Not so Eco Online Shopping is Not so Eco

8 comments
Sherry Kohn
Sherry K2 hours ago

Many thanks to you !
SEND
Mike R
Mike R3 hours ago

Thanks
SEND
Danuta W
Danuta W4 hours ago

Thank you for sharing
SEND
danii p
danii p8 hours ago

Thanks
SEND
danii p
danii p8 hours ago

Thanks
SEND
danii p
danii p8 hours ago

Thanks
SEND
Janet B
Janet B16 hours ago

Thanks
SEND
Past Member
Past Member 19 hours ago

Contact Dr. Sam at supremespellcast@gmail.com if you want to get your Husband, Wife, Boyfriend and Girlfriend back now and regain your happiness.

My name is Lisa Amy. I am really pleased with this service Dr. Sam render to me. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called Dr. Sam I never in a million years would have thought I’d be writing a letter like this, but when I nearly lost Andrew in one of our stupid, fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.I read a testimony by a man called Taylor Borg about him saying that how Dr. Sam helps him to get back is EX wife within 24 hours.I quickly email him. He did a (Lover spell) for me. 24 hours later, my (Ex-Boyfriend) came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal and our love is now stronger that he can't do without being with me. I and my boyfriend are living together happily again. Dr. Sam is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. And when I was at my most desperate, he didn’t take ad
SEND
TOP STORIES

    1
    15 Foods to Eat if You Have Heart Disease
    2
    Top 12 Foods to Eat if You Have Diabetes
    3
    When It Comes to Chocolate, is Bitter Better?
    4
    Are You Being Duped By the Egg Industry?
    5
    Should You Use Gundry Vital Reds?

ads keep care2 free
learn more ▸
ads keep care2 free
learn more ▸
COMMUNITY SUCCESS!
Success! UK Fracking Protesters Freed From Jail After Court Revokes Excessive Sentences

They've come to be known as the "Frack Free Four." Last July, Simon Blevins, Richard Loizou,...
more
12
tweet
0
0
"The best way to predict the future is to create it!"
- Dennis Gabor
Start A Petition

    Home
    Start a Petition
    Sign Petitions
    Petition Successes

    Care2 Causes
    Healthy Living
    Petition Help

Trending Petition Topics

    Animal Rights
    Children's Rights
    Civil Rights
    Corporate Accountability
    Education

    Environment
    Health
    Human Rights
    International Development
    LGBTQ Rights

    Media, Arts, Culture
    Politics
    Reproductive Rights
    Wildlife
    Women's Rights

Our Promise: Welcome to Care2, the world's largest community for good. Here, you'll find over 45 million like-minded people working towards progress, kindness, and lasting impact.

Care2 Stands Against: bigots, bullies, science deniers, misogynists, gun lobbyists, xenophobes, the willfully ignorant, animal abusers, frackers, and other mean people. If you find yourself aligning with any of those folks, you can move along, nothing to see here.

Care2 Stands With: humanitarians, animal lovers, feminists, rabble-rousers, nature-buffs, creatives, the naturally curious, and people who really love to do the right thing.
You are our people. You Care. We Care2.
Follow

    HomeAbout UsPartnershipsMedia InquiryPrivacy PolicyTerms of ServiceContact UsHelp

Copyright © 2018 Care2.com, inc. and its licensors.All rights reserved
site feedback
site feedback

    log in / Join

    Start A Petition
    Sign Petition
    CARE2 Home
    healthy living
        Food +Recipes
        Health
        Love + Sex
        Green
        News
        Crafts
        Ecards
        Brands forGood
        Nature
        Pets
        Spirit
        Home
        Life
        Family
        Beauty
    causes & news
    Success Stories
    butterfly rewards

New to Care2? Start Here.

    About Us
    Care2 Team Blog

No comments: